We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
We often have some doubts about the expiration date of a food ... will I be able to have a yogurt if it is a week after the expiry date? How long does a thawed steak last in the refrigerator?
With food we must exercise extreme caution, especially in the summer season. In this way we will be avoiding possible food poisoning. Pay attention to the recommendations of the Organization of Consumers and Users (OCU) on how long does food last in the fridge to avoid poisoning in children. Remember that a quarter of food poisoning is due to poor refrigeration.
All foods have an expiration date. Some have an approximate date, and their deterioration will depend on many factors. But you have to know that a fish is not preserved in the same way as a meat, or that in summer, the temperature shortens the 'life' of foods, and makes many prone to transmitting diseases.
According to recommendations of the OCU (Organization of Consumers and Users), the most sensitive foods, such as meat, fish and prepared foods, should be stored in the coldest part of the refrigerator, that is to say, in the upper part, while vegetables and greens can be perfectly kept in the lower part of the refrigerator. Here's how long food can last in the fridge, properly chilled:
- The meats: They usually last between 1 and 4 days, depending on the meat. While veal is more resistant (it can last up to 4 days in the refrigerator), fresh sausages and chicken and turkey meat should not exceed two days before cooking. In the freezer, however, veal can last up to 12 months, while fresh hot dogs shouldn't keep for more than two months.
- Lunch: Cold meat is very sensitive to high temperatures, and we must refrigerate it especially in hot weather. In the refrigerator, it can last up to 6 days, and frozen, two months.
- Eggs: Be very careful with the eggs in summer, as they can be transmitters of salmonellosis. In hot weather they should be refrigerated. In the refrigerator they can last up to 3 weeks. Be very careful with foods that contain eggs, such as mayonnaise. Once opened, it should be consumed within a month.
- Butter: We tend to think that butter never goes bad ... and it's not true. In the refrigerator, it is normal for it to last between 3 and 4 weeks. If you freeze it, you can extend its life up to 8 months.
- Milk: We tend to think that milk takes a long time to spoil. Be very careful with this. Once opened, we must consume it within three days.
- Fish: White fish is not the same as blue fish. Although both last more or less the same in the refrigerator (about two days), blue fish is less durable when frozen.
The OCU insists that, in addition to respecting the refrigeration time, we must take into account these other tips:
- Don't pile up the food. To ensure that they are properly preserved, we must leave space between the foods inside the refrigerator so that the air can circulate and distribute the cold evenly.
- Cover the food. Either with a transparent film or in a tupper with a lid, it is best to keep the food well covered to prevent it from spilling or coming into contact with each other. You are avoiding its contamination.
- Foods that are going to expire soon, by hand. Don't 'hide' foods that are about to expire. This happens to us a lot with dairy. We are restocking yogurts and the ones we bought before end up behind ... Remember to place the food well by hand according to its next expiration date.
- Put a manufacturing label on food scraps. If you are going to freeze or refrigerate food scraps, be sure to put a label with the date of manufacture. It is the only way to know how long they have been in the fridge. Food prepared and well closed can last in good condition for about two days.
- Monitor the temperature of the refrigerator. The correct thing is that the temperature of the refrigerator is between 2 and 8 degrees, while the freezer should be at -18ºC.
You can read more articles similar to Poisoning in children: how long does food last in the fridge, in the category of child accidents on site.